Originally posted 06/05/2014
My first attempt at blondies were a sickly, sticky mess but these are ridiculously good! I was reluctant to reveal my secret ingredient to my eager samplers but I shall share it here for the benefit of the baking community at large (ahem). And that secret ingredient is…*drum roll*…custard powder.
This idea came about when I was simply too lazy to look up a blondie recipe and decided just to go by my failsafe brownie recipe and substitute the milk chocolate for the white variety. It then dawned on me that I had no idea what to add in place of the cocoa powder. There’s no such thing as white cocoa powder (to my knowledge?!) and I was worried that making up the cocoa quantity with more flour would affect the flavour and make them too plain so, in the absence of butterscotch Angel Delight, I reached for the vanilla scented custard powder. And hey presto! The rest is scrumptious cakey history.
The lovely golden blondies pictured with their darker chocolate bretherin, pre-cutting…
INGREDIENTS – makes approx. 15
- 200g/7 oz granulated or caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 85g/3 oz self-raising flour
- 120ml/4 fl oz cooking oil
- 130g/4.5 oz white cooking chocolate
- 4.5 tbsp custard powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Few drops of Lakeland buttery caramel flavouring (optional but really makes the butterscotchy flavour pop!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C (or 160 fan) and line a rectangular baking tin with parchment paper.
- Briefly whisk the sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla extract and caramel flavouring together in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks and melt in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of hot water or place in the microwave and heat in blasts of about 1 minute until smooth, then pour into the mixing bowl.
- Fold the flour and custard powder into the mixture then pour into the prepared tin.
- Pop in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until a cocktail stick inserted into the cake comes out pretty much clean, then leave to cool.
- Cut the blondies into squares using a sharp knife and marvel at their deliciousness as you dive in.