Originally posted 01/09/2013
Oh em gee. Seriously…there are no words to describe how utterly delicious these decadent chewy chunks of chocolate heaven are! Just writing about them is making me crave one…
My previous attempts at brownies were pleasant enough but always seemed more like a moist chocolate cake and never turned out anything like bakery bought ones with their glorious gooey centres and thin top crusts. Then a friend from work sent me her recipe that used oil rather than butter and this, without a doubt, made all the difference in creating the perfect texture. Adding the Jack Daniel’s whiskey was my little twist and the end result is simply sublime and devastatingly addictive, although if you don’t want to add alcohol the brownies will still be delicious without it. Milk cooking chocolate gives a lovely fudgy flavour but dark chocolate also works well if you prefer.
Please don’t let the wrinkly, sunken appearance of the brownies when they come out of the oven put you off – I promise you the taste will be amazing!!
INGREDIENTS – makes approx. 15
- 200g/7 oz granulated/caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 85g/3 oz self-raising flour
- 120ml/4 fl oz cooking oil
- 150g/5 oz milk cooking chocolate
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Jack Daniel’s whiskey (optional)
- 3/4 tbsp vanilla extract
- Handful of white chocolate chips, to decorate (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C (or 160 fan) and line a rectangular baking tin with parchment paper.
- Briefly whisk the sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks and melt in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of hot water or place in the microwave and heat in blasts of about 1 minute until smooth, then pour into the mixing bowl.
- Fold the flour, cocoa and Jack Daniel’s into the mixture and pour into the prepared tin.
- Pop in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until a cocktail stick inserted into the brownies comes out pretty much clean then leave to cool.
- When cool, scatter over some white chocolate chips if you fancy, then cut the brownies into squares using a sharp knife and devour while moaning pleasurably. Easy peasy!